Thursday, April 3, 2008

Interesting...

Okay. I've seen this guy, and his family, many times at Union Station downtown. I keep meaning to get a picture, and the other day I risked missing my train to get his picture.



This guy is clearly Amish. I don't know much about Amish folks, but they always seem to be really kind people. BUT, don't some live without electricy and things like that? Can this guy take a train? Is that okay? Then I realized that I shouldn't assume he was there to take a train. Maybe he works there or something. Maybe he just wanted a hot dog from Gold Coast Dogs. Not sure. Anyway, it got me thinking.

Another thing that got me thinking. I was talking to my friend Patti and she was telling me that when she gets off the train, there is this lady who is blind and has a guide dog. The lady, upon getting off the train, GETS IN HER CAR WITH HER DOG AND DRIVES AWAY! What?!?!? Patti's remark was, "It freaks the hell outta me." Me too! We don't get it. I told her that she needs to strike up a conversation with this lady and get the scoop. Patti says after the lady drives away she sits in her car for a bit to make sure the roads are clear! I told Patti I don't like it when stuff doesn't have any answers. I have to know what is up with this lady.

That made Colleen, my other friend, say, "That's the reporter in you." She's so right. I have to find out information to things. It's useless information, but still, I need answers. This brings me to the issue of toll booths.

Kyle and I went to the Cubs game one weekend. We got turned around like 20 times and went through a toll. So I asked the Schmoe working the toll if we were headed the right way to Wrigley. He goes, "Follow everybody else." What a stupid thing to say. I'm like, uh, there is a truckload of Hispanics in the truck next to me with a refridgerator in back, you're telling me that THEY are going to WRIGLEY?! What about this old dude and his wife in a 1975 Bonneville? They are going to Wrigley? EVERY SINGLE PERSON ON THIS ROAD IS GOING TO WRIGLEY?!?! So Kyle and I were talking about that, and Kyle goes, "Man... if I worked in a toll booth, I'd give people the most b.s. directions, because it's not like they can come back, you know? What are they going to do? I'd be like, 'Wrigley? hell no....you're WAY off track... turn around and take 294 NORTH and get off at exit 32B...' " and I was like, OMG, you're so right, what are you going to do, turn around and read the toll worker the Riot Act for giving you the wrong directions? Call the state of Illinois and be like, some jackass gave me the wrong directions? and they'll go, well where were you? And we'll be like, "hell, we don't know... somewhere on 294... he was wearing an orange vest...."

Which then brings me to THIS question. How do toll people actually GET to work? Do they drive? Where do they park? Then, once they get there, do they have to haul ass across the highway to get to their station? Kyle said they park on the side of the road, which I didn't believe. Then I asked what happens when they get off, like do they call someone to pick them up and be like, "I'll be on 294, third station with the $ sign over it... slow down and I'll hop in..." and, do they have to pay the toll? Do they pay twice? When the get there and then when they leave?

These are questions, folks, which deserve answers.

Below is a link I found from a guy who, I believe, could be with me on this.

http://www.zug.com/pranks/turnpike/

2 comments:

Our Village said...

Emily, so good to see you!! I sent an email to your hotmail account!! Hope all is well!
courtney (frey) hudson

Coco said...

oh my god, that site is hilarious!!!

i will now leave IOU's on Mariah's behalf everywhere!!! : )